Re: weird problem with init after compiling new kernel

Yup. I found the solution.

I seem to have been creating an incompatibility problem using the base files
(the kernel) from a CD distribution but all GNU files from the internet.
Since the kernel is a modular one it will boot initially but after
compilation (using the hence incompatible GNU compiler libs) it won't boot
any more. It seems that even the original modular kernel is affected in some
way, or rather the init.d is, because even that won't boot from the point
where init is loaded.

I solved the issue by reïnstalling the whole box from scratch. First I tried
a full CD installation (all files came from the same distribution) but since
the occurence I have also successfully installed systems completely from the
ftp-sites. (which runs smoothly with a cable-connection and downloads of 250
to 300 kB/s :) )

Hope this helps you out! If your cause is not the same, you probably just
have to recompile and see very carefully that you didn't miss a thing
somewhere; I once tried running a 686 kernel on a 486. I missed the
processor type option somewhere. That didn't work

greetz,

Wouter.