From: Steve Witt [mailto:sawitt@electra.rsc.raytheon.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 5:34 PM
To: Sunny Dubey
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: 3com NIC question

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Sunny Dubey wrote:

> hey,
>
> I have a 3c509 NIC.
>
> I tried getting an IP for this NIC by using DHCP.  (I used dhcpcd)
But for
> some odd reason, it wouldn't work, and so I stfw'ed. (searched the
fucking
> web).  looking at various mailing lists, i found that I wasn't the
only one
> with the same problem, the common solution was to disable PNP, and try
again.
>  I followed the steps as show, with no luck in the end.
>
> I tried both linux-2.4.6, linux-2.2.19pre17 (The one with potatoe) and
> various dhcp clients (dhcpcd, pump, etc) and none have worked.
>
> But today, on the same box I tried installing openbsd, and I found
that DHCP
> worked right out of the install.  This made me wonder once again why
it
> doesn't work under linux.
>
> Does anyone have any insight on why this happens only in linux?  (I
tried
> under windows, and it works there too)

I'm not sure if your problem is with the NIC or with DHCP. Can you
assign
a fixed address to the NIC (in /etc/network/interfaces) and get it to
work? If so then I don't think there is anything wrong with the card or
driver.

I've used a lot of these NICs and the only problem I had was with Plug
and
Play. The solution was to get a drivers disk from 3Com and run the
configuration utility (boot with a DOS floppy), turn off plug and play
in
the card and set the IRQ and address range you want for the card. If the
IRQ/address are one of the common ones (like IRQ 10, address 0x300), the
driver will find it and go from there.  There may even be a linux
version
of this 3Com configuration utility, though I've never used it.