Re: problem running apt-get -b

On 11 Jul 2001, Dave Carrigan wrote:

> Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> writes:
>
> > I recently changed my user id (faheem) from 1000 to 500.
>
> You are now userid 500 in /etc/passwd, but the files are still owned by
> userid 1000. Changing your userid in /etc/passwd does not change the
> ownership of files. Try this:
>
>   find / -user 1000 -print0 | xargs -0 chown 500
>
> You will have to do it as root.

No, I used the command usermod, which also recursively changes the
ownership of the files in the home directory appropriately. (usermod -u
500 faheem). In other places you have to change it by hand, but this is
such a new installation I don't think there are any other places. In any
case, it is quite likely that that the problem is more subtle than a file
simply having the wrong permissions. I've tried running

search / -user 1000

but came up with nothing. I also tried reinstalling dpkg-dev with

apt-get install --reinstall --purge dpkg-dev

but that didn't work either. Package management experts? Anyone?

                                        Sincerely, Faheem Mitha