Re: Download managers?

On Wednesday 11 July 2001 18:05, John Griffiths wrote:
> At 08:14 PM 7/10/01 -0500, Jeremy wrote:
> >I am running stable, and I was wondering if there are any
> > (preferably non-X) download managers that run well (and possibly
> > come with) Debian.  I need it for downloading some ISOs from a
> > dialup connection that I can only use at night.
>
> #apt-get install wget
>
> you will fall in love so hard it will hurt

I got hurt alright. Earlier versions of wget (don't know the precise
ones) had the nasty (default) habit of overwriting completed
downloads. And you really didn't know if the download had been
completed simply by looking at the file. Read the help! An -nc (no
clobber) will probably save you the grief of seeing your megabytes
gone to naught.

In contrast pavuk (available in testing and/or unstable) creates a
.in_* file. The presence of .in_foo.iso indicates that foo_.iso has
not been completely downloaded. Pavuk also has a built-in gtk gui in
case you want to X. Among its faults: I have had a bad HTTP 1.1
experience in some versions. For some reason files got zeroed when a
download automatically resumes. I tend to use the option
--nouse_http11 and press Ctrl-C to break a stalled download before
resuming manually. Pavuk is multi-threaded, which means you can
download several files at the same time, useful for cloning static
websites (It can clone websites with dynamic pages but you end up
with ugly-looking filenames).

Now, if iso's are all you're after I could also recommend prozilla.
Do check it out. Prozilla has this nifty feature of pinging various
servers for the fastest download available, useful if you think the
iso in question is uniquely named. I don't know if prozilla can
distinguish between same-named but binary-different files. Prozilla
is also multithreaded. Unlike pavuk, it uses this feature to
accelerate the download of single files by chopping them up so that
four (the default) equal chunks of it get downloaded at the same
time. I have successfully downloaded 50+ MB files with Prozilla.

Package Info:

 Prozilla uses multiple connections to download the file
 faster. It brokes the files in pieces and downloads
 all them in one time, enhancing the download speed.
 .
 Its progress is displayed in an ncurses based UI.