kernel panics

hey all,
my local network is attached to the internet via a 486DX-2/66
(currently only 8Mb of RAM but i am looking for more). only recently
does this machine crash a whole lot, and it's always pid 0, the
"process swapper" which appears in the kernel panic message.

my initial thoughts were bad blocks in the swap partition, but running
badblocks on that partition does not yield anything. even a
destructive write test with badblocks does not report anything.

so i am at a loss, and looking for your ingenuity to help me solve
this. i am running potato with a custom 2.4.5 kernel.

any clues?

"when faced with a new problem, the wise algorithmist
 will first attempt to classify it as np-complete.
 this will avoid many tears and tantrums as
 algorithm after algorithm fails."
                                                          -- g. niruta