Re: new to debian have questions

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 05:33:47PM -0400, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Eric E Moore <e.e.moore@shef.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > For the relatively uninitated amongst us, could you spell this out
> > quickly.  What does dselct do that apt-get doesn't?  I remember
> > hearing on a list that it doesn't handle suggests and reccomends, is
> > there anything else?
>
> That's basically it.

"handle suggests and recommends" is imho a very meagre transliteration of
"manage package selections" and seriously fails to address the dselect
core functionality.

Dselect give you full control over what packages you want installed or
removed on your system.

Additionally, it helps you resolve dependencies when you select a package
for installation or removal and that package has additional depends or
conflicts that need to be resolved be adding or removing other packages
to your selections.

The suggests and recommends is only a small part of this.

Cheers,

Joost