Re: /dev/lp0: No such device

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 06:51:47PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> I've built myself a 2.4.5 kernel with parport support, but it appears
> to be broken, as any attempt to print (whether to /dev/lp0, lp1, lp2,
> par0, par1, or par2) results in the error "No such device".
> /var/log/syslog records the message "modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate
> module char-major-6" even though the support is built-in, not a
> module:
>
> CONFIG_PARPORT=y
> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y

What is CONFIG_PRINTER ?  AFAIK /dev/lp* depends on it.

> The port is detected at startup:
>
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP(,...)]
> parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378
>
> and appears in /proc/ioports (0378-037a : parport0), but does not
> appear in /proc/interrupts.

Without an interrupt, it should work, albeit in dumb PC/XT mode.
Try adding an "irq=n" option to the insmod command line or a line "options
parport_pc io=0x378 irq=n" to /etc/modutils/local and run update-modules.
You can also give the options to the lp module, which is useful if you
want to force lp to not claim all parports, just the ones you tell it to.
If your system has a reasonably modern chipset, you can even set a dma
channel for the parallel port.  This is unlikely to be particularly
useful with most printers, I think.  Read the docs in the kernel source
Documentation directory, there's some useful information there.

Cheers,

Joost