Re: mp3 players

I'm a fan of noatun, the kde media player. It has a nice tray interface, and
a plugin for global key shortcuts. It is also very convenient if you are
running kde, because it works through the normal kde sound server (which xmms
can do too, iirc, but it requires a plugin).
I also personally like the interface much better than xmms.

For ripping, I highly recommend grip. It is a graphical frontend that works
with cdparanoia and your choice of encoders (including oggenc). It will look
up track titles with CDDB, write ID3 tags, make playlists, etc.
The command line tools can do all of this stuff too (in fact, grip interfaces
to them), but grip automates it.

Nathan