Re: ext2 filesystem

Thomas Zimmerman wrote:

> On 10-Jul 05:06, Andrew Dixon wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I'm looking for a filesystem to put on a some-what embedded system.  I
> > was considering ext2 but IIRC there is a minimum 4K file size.  Does
> > anyone know if that really is the limit (I also remember that you can
> > resize the sectors on an ext2 filesystem but I don't know if these two
> > are connected).
> >
> > Also if anyone has recommendations for a RAM based filesystem I'd love
> > to hear them too.
>
> You can make the ext2 filesystem use 1k block sizes and that will knock the
> minimum file size down too. The JFFS2 filesystem might be more what you are
> looking for.

Thanks,
a 1K block size is much better.

I'm going to be using JFFS2 on the flash device but do you think it's a
good idea to implement it in RAM too?  Just to clarify my situation: the
running system will be in RAM with a flash chip that will be used as a
backup device but not "really" like a disk.  My thinking was that ext2
has been beaten up a lot and is very stable but I wasn't sure about the
granularity of file sizes.  Once again debian-user comes to the rescue
and I've got a solution that should work nicely.

Thanks,
Andy