Re: [very very OT] noisy power supply

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Joerg Johannes wrote:

> Hi list
>
> My power supply takes warm air from inside the PC case to cool itself.
> As Athlon processors (especially >1000 MHz) tend to produce lots of
> heat, the temperature-sensitive power supply fans turn faster and
> faster, making lots of noise. (When I start the box, I don't hear it at
> all, but 10 minutes later, I wish back to my old one...)
> So my idea is: I open the power supply, flip the fan so that it blows
> cool air from outside into the case, voila, much less noise. Is this a
> good idea or rather stupid?

Hello,

thats stupid and dangerous. Dust is pulled into the computer. I had once a
big fan on my computer case blowing air inside. Six months later I noticed
(by accident) that my cpu fan rotated very slowly. It was covered with
dust, so my cpu could be overheathed soon.

But a powersupply should be handled with even more care: dust is flamable.

My advice: look for a silent fan or a silent power supply. Be aware that
the power supply is the only component in the computer with high voltage
and therefore it could be dangerous if something went wrong.

I learned that the best way to make your computer silent is to put it into
another room. Even the lownoise of the cpu fan becomes irritating.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan