ntp - is it working (no logs entries)

  it looks like ntp is running but I see no log entries, only when it
starts. it used to log what it does, now it doesn't...

  when I do shutdown ntp stop says process not found (so it cannot be
killed)

  the computer seems to stay on time now (but it was as much as 5
minutes off few weeks ago...)

  there are no stats recorded in /var/log/ntpstats/ despite the
following settings in /etc/ntp.conf:

jojda:/etc/init.d>cat /etc/ntp.conf
# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for xntpd

# ntpd will use syslog() if logfile is not defined
logfile /var/log/ntpd

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

# dead? server tick.koalas.com
server time.ultimeth.net

  any ideas how to figure out what ntp is doping?

  TIA

	erik