Re: mp3 players

xucaen@yahoo.com wrote:

> hi all!
> I did a search for mp3 in the stable package list and got a number of players.
> Does anyone have any favorites? I'd like to hear people's opinions.
> which, if any, can copy CD tracks?

To rip CD's, use the command-line tool cdparanoia. It will do the best job.

To encode the ripped files, I recommend oggenc, which will create Ogg
Vorbis files, not mp3. Ogg Vorbis is technically superior to mp3 and not
patented. (Thomson Multimedia, who administer Fraunhofer's mp3 patents,
have been talking more and more recently about demanding license fees
from everyone who uses mp3 encoders.)

To play, there's mpg321 (the free-software clone of mpg123) for quick
command line playing of mp3 files, ogg123 for quick command line playing
of Ogg Vorbis files, and either freeamp or xmms for cute GUI apps that
can play both mp3 and Ogg Vorbis. I use xmms because it's compatible
with winamp skins, of which there are many thousands at www.winamp.com.

Craig