Re: apt-get/dselect-problem

Am 09. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Martin Bretschneider so:

Grüßle Martin,

> Ok, and what should I do if I wanna install from an ftp-server? Put the
> entry again there? It's very uncofortable, isn't it?

Yes, it's a pain. That's why I came up with those other configs for apt.

The reason you're seeing this is probably because the debs on the ftp server
are more recent. If you can just take those put the ftp entries back into
/etc/apt/sources.list update and install as normal and ignore the rest of
this email :).

> > Alternative ( and cooler, but I haven't tried it ), use
> > /etc/apt/preferences.
>
> It doesn't exist;)

Look for my previous posts ( last few weeks ) and at man apt_preferences.

> > I don't know what to put to use
> > the CDs,  but look at the man page for apt_preferences and I'd think
> > Origin is what needs to be used.
>
> But it seems very complicated:(

It's not too complicated once you've figured it out :).

> I "downloaded" it but I don't relize what it does:( You should add doku.

I was gonna, but since preferences support was added it should become
unnecessary. I still need to figure out how to do a few things, though.

> Hm, I don't have apt-cd only apt-cdrom:

Either copy apt-test and apt-cache-test to apt-cd and apt-cache-cd and make
the appropriate file in /etc/apt/ or just change one of the sources files in
the tarball and use it.

Those 'scripts' are just apt-get and apt-cache with some alternative
configuration info.

The do, however, work quite well. I used them for more than a year before
finding out about /etc/apt/preferences.

> How do you all update from diferent sources? I don't know 'cause I'm a
> debain-newbie;)

In that case, here's some info on using my tarball:

"tar tfz tarball.tgz" will show you the contents of the tarball,
tarball.tgz. "tar xfz tarball.tgz" will unpack it. I presume you got that
since you've looked at it. Unpacking my tarball from / places the scripts in
/usr/local/sbin/ and some config stuff in /etc/apt. It also makes a few
control dirs under /var/. The contents will show you everything.

To make it easier, I suggest copying /etc/apt/unstable.list to
/etc/apt/unstable.list.orig and then create a new /etc/apt/unstable.list
that has the ftp entries. Then comment out the config lines for ftp in
/etc/apt/sources.list and uncomment the CD entries.

apt-get and apt-cache will then work on the packages from the CDs.

apt-uns and apt-cache-uns will work on the packages from the ftp site.

Under your current circumstances, this is probably the easiest way to go (
aside from comment/uncommenting the ftp entries in sources.list depending on
whether or not you want packages from the net ). As you learn and everything
makes more sense, you'll figure out how to do it better.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.