Re: startx -- :1

harsha wrote:

hi,
wanted to start another x session gave startx -- :1 but this is what happens

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1024x768"

..
..
..
..

I am at loss why this is happening. any clues would be of great help.

regards
harsha

I noticed this a few months ago on my machines also (running Sid). I don't know if the startx script/sequence is broken, or if the procedure has been changed, but some one a few weeks back mentioned that you can get around the problem by adding the vt number you want. For example, you'd type:
	startx -- :1 vt8

I hope it's just a bug and not a new method; I know it's been filed as a bug, but I haven't checked on the status lately.

Kent