Re: dpkg problem

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:02:03AM -0700, David Fuchs wrote:
> Joost Kooij wrote:
>
> >[ouch! next time, please hit enter after +/- 72 characters.]
> >
>     Sorry, I've corrected this now...
>

> >On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 12:08:27AM -0700, David Fuchs wrote:
> >
> >>    I've recently installed Debian (Potato) on a personal computer,
> >>and I'm having some difficulty with the package manager (dpkg) that came
> >>with it.  The problem came up after I installed the Ximian Gnome packages
> >>(via apt-get).  Once that had completed, I had a working copy of Ximian
> >>Gnome (and all it's other installed applications).  I then decided to
> >>upgrade XFree86 to v4.1.  During the upgrade, I backed up and removed
> >>the contents of /etc/X11 and /usr/X11R6, just to start fresh.
> >>

> >Don't use apt-get for this directly, use dselect, the proper frontend.
> >

>     The Ximian Gnome crew had the option to install via apt-get.  I used
> that option...
>

> >Don't use rm -rf for this directly, use dselect, the proper frontend.
> >

>     It wasn't exactly `rm -rf' that I used to rename those folders...
> but I see your point.
>

> >>    Once I had XFree86 4.1 installed, I needed to re-install some of the
> >>Ximian Gnome packages (namely gdm, as it's config rested in /etc/X11/gdm).
> >>Upon running `dpkg --install', I found that it never actually install gdm.
> >>Sure enough, it created the directory structure under /etc/X11/gdm, but
> >>there were no files to speak of.  The backup I had displayed a number
> >>of files (sessions and config data).  I tried `dpkg --install' again,
> >>and put it in the background.  I noticed during the install, that it was
> >>creating the proper files that I was missing, but they were suffixed with
> >>'.dpkg-new'.  Once `dpkg --install' had completed, it removed those files
> >>rather than renaming them (to chop the .dpkg-new off).  Hence my problem.
> >>

> >Don't use dpkg for this directly, use dselect, the proper frontend.
> >
>     Alright, sir, I believe we're vitiating the goal of this mailing
> list.  It would be wonderful if you could back up the monomaniacle
> inclination toward 'dselect' in your last three statements with some
> explanation.  I'm looking for information on dpkg, not dselect.  If I
> absolutely must use dselect, I would like to know why, and what
> functionality it provides to Debian that dpkg (or one of the dpkg
> utilities such as 'dpkg-deb') does not.  I'm doing this to learn, and
> using the base tools for debian package management will inherently tell
> me how dselect works.

	Hi. I'd like to insert my two cents worth. I don't believe that
dselect provides any functionality that can't be done with dpkg(and
it's numerous options). That is why is is called a 'frontend' to dpkg.
Personally, I like to use aptitude as my frontend to dpkg and apt. I
first learned quite a bit about dpkg before starting to use it though.
It seems you are interested in doing the same. Good idea, imho. I even
made a little bash script as a way to learn bash shell scripting, dpkg,
and apt called 'clone-debian'. It is a little buggy and ugly though(not
wrapped to 72 chars) and I haven't worked on it months but have been
thinking about doing so again. Some of the bashisms are pretty intense
to try and figure out! What frontend to use is simply a matter of
personal prefernce, of course.

> >>    So the question is, why did dpkg not install the files properly?
> >>Obviously it's keeping track of what's installed (or should I say, what
> >>it *thinks* is installed).  dpkg's assumptions don't help me, however,
> >>and I can't be certain my applications are installed correctly if it
> >>goes removing things after the fact.  How can I force dpkg to *forget*
> >>about what I've already installed, so I can install it again?  Better yet,
> >>is there a way to force a proper re-install with dpkg?

	To check and see if all you applications are installed correctly
check out the 'debsums' utility. To reinstall something with dpkg just
download the .deb and then 'dpkg -i <package.deb>'. The default action
of dpkg is to reinstall when doing this. For apt-get it's 'apt-get
install --reinstall <package>'.

> >You never completely removed the packages, probably.  There is "remove",
> >which removes the binaries etc., and there is "purge", which also
> >removes configfiles.
> >
>     Ok.
>

> >When you only "remove", and later reinstall, your original configfiles
> >will still be inplace.  That is, unless you have removed some of these
> >files while the package was removed, then it will not put a new configfile
> >in if it finds that the old one is gone.  This is just like when upgrading
> >an installed package:  if you removed a configfile on the old version,
> >you don't expect it to reappear after upgrade.
> >
>     Sounds good.  It looks like the reason dpkg removed those 'dpkg-new'
> files was because dpkg found the package was already installed.  This
> was because it was never purged, only removed.  I will attempt to purge
> everything, and then install.  A purge should remove any list files
> associated with the particular packages, correct?  If so, an install (I
> take it you must do an install, not re-install, after purging) should
> re-construct those list files?  I certainly hope so.
>

> >>    One way I've found to re-install, is to use `dpkg-deb --extract
> >><filename> /', but that's not good, as it kind of defeats the point
> >>of dpkg, as dpkg is used to not only extract, but to configure things
> >>you install as well, correct?  I've also found another way, which is to
> >>remove the list files associated with a program (I think I found them in
> >>/var/lib/dpkg/status/info/* ??).  Again, this defeats the point of dpkg,
> >>as dpkg should be a package manager on it's own accord, so I shouldn't
> >>need to be deleting things.  Of course, after deleting a bunch of those
> >>list files, dpkg complains whenever I run it that it's missing things.
> >>It would be great if someone could tell me how to repair this as well...

	For this you should read the doc's as stated below and as you
confirmed below. The file to edit is /var/lib/dpkg/status.

	HTH even if only a little,

	Jim Richards