GRUB & Rieserfs

Howdy,

I've made two changes to my home system (I know... should have done one at a time...)
I've changed my boot loader from LILO to GRUB and I've changed my root file system
from ext2 to reiserfs.

my partition table is setup as:
/dev/hda1    ext2            /boot
/dev/hda2    swap
/dev/hda3    reiserfs      /

GRUB comes up with a menu and I can boot to /boot if needed.
To boot normally I tell GRUB that:
root (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.4.5 root=/dev/hda3 ro

I see the kernel loading, I see it mount the / (root) file system as a reiserfs
(reiserfs support is in the kernel, not a module)
but I then get a kernel panic saying it is unable to find init.

What's up?  I've read through as many README's and .html files as I can find.
The one thing I've noticed is a reference that says -notail is needed for some
programs like LILO - is GRUB "like LILO" in this instance?  If so, how do I mount
/ (root) with the -notail  option?  (I've tried editing the /etc/fstab to include notail,ro
without any change.

I'd guess I'm doing something stupid or overlooking the obvious... just need to get
my machine back up and running and would rather not have to re-create one or more
ext2 file systems...

Any and all help appreciated.
Chuck