Re: debian vs suse

At 10:59 p.m. 07/07/01 -0400, Peter Kok wrote:
Hi all

What is the different between debian and suse?
How are the security and stable?

Hi,
        I was a SuSE user before Debian. This is my opinion:

* SuSE has some really nice and easy admin tools (yast) for the newbie. There is a point, however, where you know what this tools do and you find easier to just edit the right textfile. * Both have lots of packages available, wich I find great. However, as for suse 7.0, upgrading is quite dfferent in debian and suse: one thig is apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and quite another is getting the RPMs and upgrading them in the right order, or getting the CDs and staring an install/upgrade... * Debian is somewhat more extensible, adding sources to sources.list for some specific software is really easy and keeps you systems updated quite niceley (specially important for security issues).

IMHO, Debian is the distro you want when you pass the first contact with Linux.