Re: Xeon (860)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 07:47:37PM +0900, Toshinao Ishii wrote:
> Thank you for reply. I've just removed all the PCI cards and
> reboot from the rescue.bin. However, situation does not change.
> The kernel stop just after saying "PCI: Probing PCI hardware".
>
> I also tried RedHat7.1. It looks rh7.1 installer kernel works fine.
> Although messages from kernel goes up and disappears very quickly,
> I could read the lines just after that.
>
>    PCI: Probing PCI hareware
>    Unknow bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
>    Unknow bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
>    Unknow bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
>    Unknow bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
>    Unknow bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
>    PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX [8086/2440] at 00:1f.0
>
> Please give any comments for solving this problem.

Your machine has an uncommon pci setup, it seems, that may need a
newer kernel to deal with properly.  What kernel is on redhat 7.1?

You can build your own 2.2 installation kernel quite easily btw.,
here's how:

Get newest kernel source.  Configure it for your machine.  Keep it a
lightweight kernel and build only what you need for installation into
the kernel (no module).  Make sure to enable "ramdisk" and "initrd",
the rescue.bin kernel needs it.  Build the kernel with "make bzImage",
but do not "make install" or anything alike.  You can find the kernel
image as linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage.  Rename it to "linux" and run
"rdev linux /dev/ram".  Mount the boot floppy as fat fs and copy the
selfmade kernel over the debian one.  Then umount floppy and try it on
your xeon system.

If booting works with the new kernel, you can install the default
modules, btu don't configure any, as they won't match the running
kernel.  When you have finished installing, build a proper kernel
without initrd and with the fancy features.  Use kernel-package, so
you can install (and uninstall) the kernel using dpkg.

Cheers,

Joost