Re: Problems with info

ajlewis2@intac.com (Anita Lewis) writes:

> On Mon, 09 Jul 2001 12:50:08 +0200, Leonard Stiles wrote:
> > ajlewis2@intac.com (Anita Lewis) writes:
> >
> >> When I run something like 'info info', I get this:
> >> info: Cannot find node op'.
> >
> > What happens when you just run "info"?
> > What is the INFOPATH environment variable set to?
>
> I get the same result when I run just "info" either as user or root.
> INFOPATH was not set.  I put it in /etc/profile and logged off and
> back on.  Now I have:
>
> $ echo $INFOPATH
> /usr/info:/usr/share/info
>
> I still get the same result with running "info"

Hmm... are the info directory files present in those directories?

$ ls -l /usr/{share/,}info/dir{,.gz} 2>/dev/null
-rw-r--r--  1 root  root   12806 Jul  9 11:38 /usr/info/dir
-rw-r--r--  1 root  root     943 Jun 20  2000 /usr/share/info/dir.gz

(On my potato system, most packages seem to add entries to the former
only, and both stand-alone info and emacs' info use the former.  I
assume that strictly speaking only one dir is necessary.)

If I run "INFOPATH= info", info fails with:

info: dir: No such file or directory

Comparing this to the error message you get leads me to believe that
your dir file is present but corrupted in some way.

Also, if you have a version of emacs installed, you could try doing
"M-x info", just to determine whether it isn't the stand-alone info
program which is somehow at fault.

--

Leonard Stiles <ljs@uk2.net>