Re: Win2K/ linux dual-boot

There is an excellent GPL'd boot manager called XOSL
(http://www.xosl.org).  It can install on it's own partition, or
your windows partition.  It is absolutely brilliant.  When you set it
up, it presents you with a list of partitions on your machine, you
select which ones you want in your boot-up menu (they have to be
bootable, of course), and you're away.

Here's what I did, which is the easiest way of making a dual-boot system
I've come across:

- Created a FAT32 partition (about half my hard drive - DiabloII needs
a lot of disk space) and installed windows as per usual.
- Install Debian on the remainder of the drive, to boot from a floppy.
- Install XOSL in Windows.  File away the floppy.

You still need to install lilo in your GNU/Linux setup, but I can't
recall having to alter the default config or do anything fancy to get
XOSL to kick-start it.

Good luck.
Matthew.

 Industrial Workers of the World - http://www.iww.org