Re: [OT] Port numbers

Thomas J. Hamman wrote:

> In what documentation/manpage/whatever can I find a list of ports and
> their numbers (like the ports for telnet, http, etc.)?  And also I'd
> like to know how to see which ports my computer has open.
>
> --
> Thomas J. Hamman
> "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
> character, give him power."
>         -Abraham Lincoln

While the /etc/services file can tell you a good bit about what your
computer has to offer, it is not a complete picture.  For instance, it
doesn't really tell you which port(s) that are used by the "service" <g>
of common Trojans and hacking software.  It is sometimes interesting to
see what ports other computers use for various functions (Black Hat
"crackers", games, net "utilitites" like AIM, etc).  I have found the
following site to be a good portal for info of this kind:
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/trojan-port-table.html#Trojan-Ports
.  It has some good links to other sites of interest...very good for
tracking down strange port probe entries in your firewall's logs.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-