Yamaha OPL2SA3 and 2.4

Has anyone gotten this working? I recently upgraded to the pre-compiled version of 2.4.5 on woody and had the same problem described in this thread on the kernel mailing list (which provides no satisfactory fix for it):

http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.0/0159.html

Since the problem appears to be in the "auto-detection" part of the code that was added during the 2.4.3 development series (or 2.4.2?), I decided to try renaming my modules.conf file but that was no help at all... in fact, it just acted like the old driver would've and said it couldn't figure out the ioports or some such... ideas anyone?

TIA