Re: Microsoft Reader... argh!

Well, as far as I can tell from the web, the MS Reader format is a
*compiled* binary form of the OEB
(www.openebook.org) specification. Specifically, MS Reader reads
".lit" files, which can be generated, according to the web site, only by a
couple of proprietary products, all predicably enough running only under
Windows.

I'm not happy about the idea of running under wine, since it really
doesn't solve the fundamental problem of distribution in a proprietary
format.  It also doesn't seem to work:

aperrin@hm269-26876:~$ wine msreadersetup.exe
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_KEYBOARD_DetectLayout Your keyboard layout was not
found!
Instead using closest match (0409) for scancode mapping.
Please define your layout in windows/x11drv/keyboard.c and submit them
to us for inclusion into future Wine releases.
See documentation/keyboard for more information.
fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Security directory ignored
fixme:gdi:GetObjectA Magic 0000 not implemented
fixme:gdi:GetObjectA Magic 0000 not implemented
fixme:gdi:GetObjectA Magic 0000 not implemented
fixme:gdi:GetObjectA Magic 0000 not implemented
fixme:gdi:GetObjectA Magic 0000 not implemented
fixme:gdi:GetObjectA Magic 0000 not implemented
fixme:module:CreateProcessA
(E:\pftc351~tmp\Disk1\Setup.exe,...): lpCurrentDirectory E:pftc351~tmp
ignored
fixme:win32:PE_LoadImage FATAL: Need to relocate
E:\pftc351~tmp\Disk1\Setup.exe, but no relocation records present
(stripped during link). Try to run that file directly !
[...]

Best,
Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA