Re: NO! chmod strikes!

Alvin Oga <aoga@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com> writes:
AO> if you only wanted to change the local dot files... oh well...
AO> we all learn and remember the hard way... :-)
AO> 	shoulda been:  chmod pattern  ~/.*

...which will still catch ~/. and ~/.., which you don't want.
(Particularly as root, whose home directory is conventionally /root;
/root/.. is the system root directory, which gets you back into the
same mess that you started as.)

A good reminder: if you're not sure about what you're doing, it's a
good idea to (a) not run them as a priviledged user (root) without
checking first, and (b) check commands you're not sure of by putting
'echo' on the front first to see what the shell will turn them into.

	-- Abra Mitchell