Re: Swapping /usr and /

Alvin Oga <aoga@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com> writes:

> hi ya dave, original poster
>
> the "rescue disk" must be standalone .. because
> the current / fs might be corrupted during the copying for stuff around...
> 	or your a live cdrom will do the trick too

I have gone to single user mode and moved / to a different partition
many times, and I have never had to do it by booting from a rescue disk.

The only thing that may get "corrupted" is the lilo boot record, and
it's not really corrupted, it's just that the kernel sectors are no
longer in the place the boot record thinks they were. That is why I
included lilo as one of the steps.

To repeat: there is absolutely no need for a rescue disk, except to bail
yourself out if something elso goes wrong.

Perhaps you are thinking of resizing partitions (i.e., with parted). In
that case, you need to boot from something other than /, because the
partition to be resized cannot be mounted.

Regards,

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! LOOK!!  Sullen American
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | teens wearing MADRAS shorts and