Microsoft Reader... argh!

Greetings folks-

I'd like to assign a book for a class this fall that is published only in
hardcover and in something called "Microsoft Reader" format. The MS
Reader format is about 1/2 the price, which matters (I don't like to make
students pay more than necessary, particularly at a public
school.).  According to Amazon, the MS Reader is available only for
Windows. Does anyone else know about this gizmo, what the format is,
etc? I'm not willing to let Microsoft have a monopoly on my class, so if
in fact it's Windows-only I'll either not assign the book (and let the
publisher know!) or make them go with the expensive hardback.

Thanks for any advice-
Andy Perrin

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA