Re: Getting dselect and apt-* to work from a local file system

Tommy McDaniel wrote:

> I have been trying to get package management going since I installed Debian
> a couple of weeks ago, but have had great difficulties. I am unable to
> connect to the Internet from my Linux partition, so I decided to set up
> apt-setup to use a file system and get everything set up so that I would
> only have to download packages onto my Windows partition and transfer them
> to the appropriate place in Linux and be able to install them. Since using a
> local file%20system isn't the most documented topic in the Debian world, I
> had to learn the hard way to create /dists/stable/***/binary-i386
> directories with the same Package files in them that are on the online
> mirrors, where *** is main, contrib, and non-free. I also transferred the
> Release files for each of those directories and for /dists/stable in order
> to get some "Ign file:" messages to disappear. After all that, I have
> reached a problem that I have no clue regarding the solution to. When I run
> dselect, the first option goes fine, but when it comes time for the second
> option, Update, I get the following:
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Merging Available Information
> Replacing available packages info, using /var/cache/apt/available.
> dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/cache/apt/available' near line 600 package
> 'navigator':
>    duplicate value for user-defined field 'meta-package'
>
> update available list script returned error exit status 2.
> Press <enter> to continue.
>
> What in the world does that mean? Whatever it is, I am not generating that
> file to start with, dselect/apt-get is, so I don't know what's going on.
> I've tried just about everything to try to find out what this means,
> including but not limited to looking through most of the documentation on
> the Debian site multiple times, searching the web with Google and ProFusion,
> looking at the source code for dpkg, writing my own little program to find
> every occurrence of lines that start with "meta-package" in the entire file
> (which still doesn't quite report line numbers correctly, but that's another
> matter), searched through the Debian mailing list archives many, many times,
> and probably a bunch of other stuff but apparently I'm the first person in
> world history to experience this, judging by how I haven't even been able to
> find a single mention anything that relates to this. Can anyone help me? I
> want to use dselect, not dpkg directly or anything else. After spending
> weeks trying to get this one aspect of the system to work properly I'm about
> out of nerves. If no one on this list is able to help I will most likely
> just use a different distribution, since I really have no clue what it's
> problem with the meta-package tag is. I'm not changing the file around, it's
> just whining about it's own file. Any help will be most deeply appreciated.
> [...]

dialup or better with debian to connect to your local mirror, and want to use
dselect (or aptitude or deity or stormpkg...) to choose what package to
download.

I suggest you to take a look in /usr/share/doc/apt/offline.text.gz where is well
explained how to upgrade your system with apt, and with slightly modification
you can achieve your goal.

You need to update your packages list (/var/lib/apt/lists), force dselect to use
the manually downloaded packages list (supposing you have a working apt
sources.list this is done choosing an update from dselect), use dselect to
choose what packages install/remove and finally using apt to create a list of
packages to download following the changes made by dselect, something like this

apt-get -qq --print-uris dselect-upgrade

In a finally note, i really suggest you to read the offline apt doc
(/usr/share/doc/apt/offline.text.gz).

Andrea