aptitude and apt-get dist-upgrade do different things?

  I thought that basically all front-ends for pacakge system would work
same way, or at least similarly. However aptitude and apt-get
dist-upgrade seem to differ a lot. Why is that? And why are they trying
to remove various packages from the system? e.g. I don't want the
kde-designer to be removed, even if it does not work (it does work right
now), I guess it's going to be fixed sooner or later and I don't want to
have manually check (there are packages that I want to use but don't
remember unless I already have them installed:-)

	erik