Re: how stable is the testing branch?

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 04:51:25PM +0000, joe golden wrote:
> Debian has koffice in the testing branch>>
> this may be the answer to my need for a stable word processor and graphing
> spreadsheet for our small school network of 10 machines.
>
> Will the testing branch be so unstable as to crash regularly?  I don't want
> to look bad and I don't want linux to look bad.

The main thing with testing is that it lacks in securety updates (at
least a two week delay as it has to ripple in from unstable).  So if
you insulate your school network from the internet through a very
resrictive firewall running stable (or FreeBSD:) and the schoolkids
won't try out every new trick to become root, you should be fine
though.

The alternative is to run stable and bring in locally compiled things
from testing.  But if this gets beyond the occasional oddball, things
get messy/troublesome quick.  Some packages need a lot of other debs
from testing, and soon you're lacking securety updates again:(

--
groetjes, carel