Re: Keyboard Prob

On Fri, 06 Jul 2001 22:59:25 BST, Keri wrote:

> > Many real modems have a chip on them marked "rockwell".
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> > Joost
>
> Well Made in Taiwan doesn't come close.
> Will have a good think abotu this one and have someone
> do some searching for the origination.
> At least it's a start to one of the reasons why this puppy won't
> work.
>

> Keri

What text is printed on the largest chip on the modem? Post back with that
and I'll try to look up what kind of controller it is.

Even if that chip is made by Rockwell, it could still be a winmodem, so
don't just list the manufacturer, include any numbers found there as well.

Other info that may be found on the modem

Also, use the dmesg command to see what hardware the kernel is detecting.
Look for something that looks like this:

ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

to see if the kernel is detecting the serial ports.  If the kernel is not
detecting the serial ports, then either the serial driver is not being
loaded (if it is a module) or the serial ports may be disabled in the
bios, but this is unlikely.

If the modem is a pci device, it should show up in the output of the lspci
command.

--
  Paul T Wright <paul@cvanet.com>

   And, strange to tell, among the Earthen Lot
   Some could articulate, while others not:
      And suddenly one more impatient cried --
   "Who is the Potter, pray, and who the Pot?"

            -- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam --