Re: q ad migrating IDE -> SCSI, partition layout

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:46:52PM +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:
> So, basically, I want the system to reside on SCSI and the
>  not-so-valuable data on IDE. Does something like
>
> SCSI:
> sda1 /boot   25 MB
> sda2 /      100 MB
> sda3 /usr  1200 MB
> sda4 /var   840 MB (/tmp -> /var/tmp)
>
> IDE:
> hda1 /home ~5 GB, salvaging current hda1 - hda7
> hda8 /mp3  19 GB, current hda8[0]
>
> seem like a reasonable scheme?

It makes more sense to put /usr on the ide disk and /home on
scsi, but that is details.

> 0: And, regarding the IDE-disk: Is this possible _without_ losing the
>  data on the current /mp3 (hda8)? Eg, deleting hda1-7, re-creating a
>  large hda1, ?cause I don?t have any means to backup 15 GB and I surely
>  don?t want to re-convert my whole cd-collection to mp3...

Probably only available in testing and unstable:
dpkg -p ext2resize
Package: ext2resize
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 160
Maintainer: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.1.14-5
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.97)
Filename: dists/woody/main/binary-i386/admin/ext2resize_1.1.14-5.deb
Size: 67532
MD5sum: 63ebfee915935c8a7eb48afe7551ee38
 ext2resize resizes ext2 filesystems. This is useful if you run out of space
 on one partition, or have too much free space on another.
 .
 Warning: If used incorrectly, this program may destroy your filesystem. Use
 with care.

Cheers,

Joost