Re: Help For Newbie

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 07:23:32PM +0100, Keri wrote:
| I am able to configure ppp in tty2,
| but I don't think that is what I'm suppose
| to do, no?

Yes.  Use the ttys!  They are your friend :-).  Unix (and then Linux)
is largely based on the command line.  As Joost mentioned, pictures of
using/configuring Unix are often hard to come by since the commandline
is the primary tool.  Not very interesting for pictures, and can be
well represented by plain text.  The most direct access to the command
line is via tty[1-6] (on a default Debian system -- init can be setup
differently for other systems).  You can get the same stuff from a
terminal emulator, such as gnome-terminal, but sometimes a few console
apps don't behave as well.  If you learn how to use the command line,
then you will be able to use your system to its fullest potential, and
be able to fix it if something goes wrong.

Desktops like GNOME are nice, but IMO you should be able to use the
system even if a desktop isn't available.  BTW, where did those icons
on your desktop come from?  I remember that RH had some (like their
web site) by default, but my Debian system didn't have any.  Anyways,
my recommendation is to not use them until you understand how the
system works, and then check what commands those icons are going to
run and make sure that's really what you want.

The "pon" command will connect with the modem, once it is configured
properly.  The "poff" command will disconnect.  Be aware that 'pon'
returns almost immediately, even though it may take a while for the
connection to be made.  The command "plog" will show you the log for
making a ppp connection so that you can see whether or not it works,
and if it fails you can determine why.  plog must be run as root.  If
you try to run it while not root, you will get a message telling you
you couldn't read the file.  ('plog' is identical to 'tail -f
/var/log/syslog | grep -e "pppd|chat"', but don't worry about what all
that means just yet)

-D