Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

Dave Sherohman wrote:

> <SNIP>...  And, to me at least, `xdm stop` obviously means
> "shut xdm down", while `init 3` has no readily apparent relationship to
> X or xdm unless you're bringing outside knowledge with you.

Bingo. That's what the arguements boils down to.

What is most important IMHO, is the ability to customize runlevels to a
local condition. You may be running RH 6.x on a laptop that needs to
have X running with one network configuration in runlevel 5, and console
only with a different configuration in runlevel 3, with levels 2 and 4
having various other combinations. I may have Debian 2.2.r3 running a
webserver in runlevel 3, and I may have the machine setup as a backup MX
server and a web server in runlevel 5, without X in either.

--Rich

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.