Re: X server crash

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 08:54:56PM -0400, John E Decker wrote:
> Hey All,
>   New to Debian...breaking from tradition and market forces.
> Just installed Debian on an older machine and configured X during setup.
> Computer = pentium pro 200
> Video = Trident tgui 9680, svga 640x480,8 bpp
> Mouse = generic 2-button serial
> I keep getting "fatal server error: cannot open mouse(no such file or
> directory)"
> I've checked X11 config file and changed the mouse but still get the
> error.Any suggestions?...Thanks!

Check /etc/X11/XF86Config -

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "IMPS/2"
   Device          "/dev/psaux"

What "Device" is listed there and does this device exist in the /dev
directory?  I suspect "Device" shows "/dev/mouse" which is a link that
may not exist in your /dev directory.  If that is the case list the
actual device as I have above (if you have a PS/2 mouse) or create a link
/dev/mouse to the actual device.
hth,
kent

--