Re: [users] compiling Kernel

also sprach Dan Cox (on Thu, 05 Jul 2001 03:43:31AM -0700):
> when I #make menuconfig, or make config, I get the fallowing error;
>
> make: *** No rule to make target 'config' . Stop.
>
> Also from the articles I've read about compiling the Kernel the /usr/linux
> directory is referenced, however I don't have this directory.
> What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

usually, you unpack your kernel source within the /usr/src directory,
although some people opt for /usr/local/src. i prefer the former if
you compile a kernel for each machine, and the latter if you have a
stock kernel for a cluster of workstations.

once unpacked, it's usually best to rename the created "linux"
directory to something like "linux-version" i.e. linux-2.4.6, and then
to symlink to linux:
  mv linux linux-2.4.6
  ln -s !!:2 !!:1

then you cd into /usr/src/linux and try the make menuconfig again.
you are getting this error because make looks for a file called
Makefile, which resides in /usr/src/linux, but the directory you call
'make' in does not have such a file, or the file in that directory
doesn't know how to build the targets config or menuconfig.

assuming your tar.gz file for the kernel is in /usr/src, you'd do the
following to compile a kernel:

  cd /usr/src
  tar xfz linux-2.4.6.tar.gz
  mv linux linux-2.4.6
  ln -s !!:2 !!:1
  cd !!:2
  make menuconfig
  make dep modules modules_install bzImage
  cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.6
  cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.6
  $EDITOR /etc/lilo.conf          # make the changes here
  lilo
  reboot

however, i would suggest replacing all the steps following menuconfig
by make-kpkg, which can create a .DEB file with the kernel image, that
you than have to 'dpkg -i'

be nice to your kids. they'll choose your nursing home.