Re: Sound configuration

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:08:48PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 10:19:18AM -0500, Larry W. Irwin Sr. wrote:
> |   This has probably been much discussed before but I am new here.
> |   How the heck do you configure the sound card under potato?
>
> Step 1 :  figure out what your sound card is (I'll use an ESS1869
>                                               because that's what was
>                                               in my only box with
>                                               sound)
>
> Step 2 :  figure out what resources it should use (ie DMA)  This is
>           one of the few areas where Windows can be helpful

Note that, AFAIK, it isn't important to know the resource settings
(DMA, IRQ, etc.) for most modern PCI soundcards.

> Step 3 :  configure the correct modules.  Here is an example from my
>           previous box.  Note that I originally had the wrong DMA
>           channel, and sound was slow and horridly screwed up.  When I
>           finally got around to debugging the problem it was as simple
>           as using a different DMA channel.

Depending on the model of your card, it may not be supported by the
OSS kernel modules but may be supported by ALSA instead.  This was the
case for the soundcard in my laptop, so I did an 'apt-get install
alsa-source', built it, and installed those modules.

Tell us what kind of card you have, and we'll be able to give you more
specific instructions.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>