lilypond fails (error: latex: command exited with value 256)

  (debian unstable, 2.4.3 kernel)

  I tried the example from info lilypond tutorial:

          \score {
            \notes { c'4 e' g' }
          }

  then ran command:

  ly2dvi -P test.ly

  and here's what I've got:

jojda:~/tmp>ly2dvi -P pokus.ly
Running LilyPond...
GNU LilyPond 1.4.2
Now processing: `/home/erik/tmp/pokus.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[1]
Preprocessing elements...
Calculating column positions... [2]
paper output to `pokus.tex'...

Analyzing pokus.tex...
Running LaTeX...
error: latex: command exited with value 256
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/bin/ly2dvi", line 786, in ?
    run_latex (files, outbase, extra)
  File "/usr/bin/ly2dvi", line 607, in run_latex
    system (cmd)
  File "/usr/bin/ly2dvi", line 313, in system
    error (msg)
  File "/usr/bin/ly2dvi", line 206, in error
    raise _ ("Exiting ... ")
Exiting ...

  latex is installed (well, tetex-bin is: Note, selecting tetex-bin
instead of latex). is there anything else I need? here are the relevant
packages:

ii  lilypond       1.4.2-2        A program for printing sheet music.
ii  tetex-bin      1.0.7+20001218 teTeX binary files

  btw I had some limited success by running lilypond directly but the
resulting postscript file didn't have notes but letters instead (some
other symbols where replaced by regular characters as well, e.g. treble
clef was printed as 'c' (in place where treble clef would be)

  I read manual and parts of info lilypond but can't see anything
relevant... (e.g. they assume the ly2dvi command would work).

  TIA

	erik