Re: soundblaster 16/ adding new group

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 04:57:22PM -0700, Xucaen wrote:
>    I have searched thru the Debian user archives
> and read alot about soundblaster PnP cards, but I
> have an old sb16 with jumpers. I know all my
> card's settings and I have already installed sb.
> My confusion is regarding adding my user name to
> a new group and changing the group of the sound
> device. between usermod, chgrp, chown, I'm
> confused. what do I need to do to get my user
> name to access the sound device?

The group "audio" is there for this purpose.  You do not have to add
it, is is already there on debian systems.

On my system, the audio devices are owned by the group "audio".

Example: "ls -l /dev/dsp" shows:
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jul  9  2000 /dev/dsp

In fact, if you do "ls -l /dev | grep audio", you'll see the whole lot
of audio devices.

So all you need to get access to these devices is to be in group "audio".
Do, as root, "addgroup user audio" to add user to that group.  Now the
user has to either login again (or restart x11), or type "newgrp" in
the shell from which to access audio devices.

You can check the groups you are (or really: your process is) currently
in with the "id" and "groups" commands.

Cheers,

Joost