Can't init font path element

Okay,

I've buried myself in X arcana for 2-3 days. and now have what looks
like legit fonts.dir, fonts.alias and fonts.dir files for truetype
fonts. But everytime I start X I get the above message: "Cam't init font
path element "/usr/share/fonts/truetype, removing from list"'. Netscape
font preferences shows variable width fonts but all with size of 0. I
thought I fixed this when I got a useful fonts.alias file using
mkfontdir.py. I have the feeling that the problem all goes back to the
"Can't init" error. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

Tbanks in advance,

Ken