Re: error trying to use XFree86 4.x.x with USB Microsoft Intellimouse....

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 09:42:16AM -0400, Walter Tautz wrote:
> Ok, Followed the instructions at www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/

	Hiya There Walter,

	I'll try and help you out here. I use /dev/usbmouse, but
/dev/input/mice applies to the device file in the same way.
I'll get to it in a sec. First, you don't have all the modules you need
loaded. I put them in /etc/modules so that they load when I boot up.
You're missing 'hid', 'mousedev', and I don't have/use a module called
'usbmouse' myself just to let you know. My mouse is the same as the one
you have. So, you'll need to make sure you have those modules in your
kernel config. Here's my relevent modules listing for you...

lsmod

mousedev
hid
input
usb-uhci
usbcore

Then, (my example will be with /dev/usbmouse)once you've got the modules
thing straightened out, go into /dev and make the device file with the
correct minor and major numbers, 13 and 32 respectively. The 13 63
doesn't work for me.

cd /dev
rm -fv usbmouse
mknod usbmouse c 13 32

Now that the device file is made, as long as the modules are properly
loaded, you should be able to test it by catting it to stdout...

cat /dev/usbmouse

This will give you a bunch of strange characters as you move the mouse
around. Now you should be ready to start X.

	Good Luck and Enjoy!

	Jimmmy Richards

	Is this the party to whom I'm speaking? - Lily Tomlin