Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 03:06:24PM -0400, Steven Smolinski wrote:
> You have to edit the runlevels now, why would you care about having to
> edit the runlevels after they were made to match the LSB?  That, at
> least, buys some compatibility.

...which goes right out the window as soon as you edit the runlevels.
If the LSB says X only starts in runlevel 5, then some LSB app or other
will break if you edit your config to not start X in rl5 (say, because
it's a box without an X server installed) or to also start X in rl2-4.
This is a given; if the standard says that foo will be true, then someone
will come up with a way to make their software fail if foo is false,
even if it has no logical connection to foo whatsoever.