Re: Broken X in testing ?

Dominique Deleris writes:

> D-Man <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:
>

> > Are the font packages installed?  Is xfs installed and running?
> >

> Yep. Everything ran fine before the update, and no configuration
> file was changed. xfonts-base is still there also.

I had this same problem a couple of nights ago while doing a "apt-get
dist-upgrade" from Potato to Testing.  I had seen this same problem
before a few months ago, and it was the fonts that time, so I went
directly to "dselect" and inspected the installed fonts.  Although I
specifically remembered them being "installed" during the apt-get
dist-upgrade, they didn't seem to be there in the dselect menu!  I
selected the fonts I wanted (including xfonts-base) and "installed" them
again.  This cleared up the error message and X started working for me.

You might want to try what I did or, alternatively, try an "apt-get
install --reinstall <font package list>" and see what happens.  I would
suggest re-installing the xfonts-base + the 75dpi fonts and/or the 100
dpi fonts as a minimum.  I too "thought" the correct fonts were
installed, but apparently they were not.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-