Re: Using ISDN

Am Tue, 03 July 2001 schrieb cooher@email.com:

> can anyone help me configure a:
>
> "KYE/Genius SpeedSurfer PCI ISDN Card"
>
> Mandrake 8.0 found it (HiSax or something?),

If you read the isdnutils (also called isdn4linux, for reasons I have
yet to work out) docs you will see that the HiSax driver does lots of
isdn cards, the same docs will also tell you whether yours is one of
them.

> but i dont understand how to configure it under debian, or how it is used. Or about the entire topic of ISDN under linux.

There are two ways to use it - to automatically dial when your
computer/network attempts to access somewhere 'outside', and to require
you to explicitly instruct it to dial/hangup. In the beginning it is
far better to set it up to do the latter (the default config is the
former) as it saves extra connections being made which you probably don't know anything about until you either a) check the logs, or b) get
the bill.

The config that Debian/isdnutils does for you gets you very nearly
there, there's not that much to do. Enter your own number in the
appropriate places, and the number you want to dial to in the other, and
to start with probably change the auto dial option to off (sorry, I
don't remember the exact one or which file it is in, but the friendly
man page is waiting to be read :-). There might be some other stuff
I've forgotten, in which case feel free to ask again when it doesn't
work (caveat: I'm by no means an expert). I think there are two, maybe
three config files you need to be interested in, all in /etc/isdn or
something like it (sorry for being so vague, I can't check at the
moment).

> If someone could show me how to get ISDN working, that would be a great help. As the places i find on the net tell me different stories, and just give me a head ache.

*laughs* Yup, been there, done that, got the bare spots on my scalp to
prove it! The newsgroup is a pretty good place to ask (the name's in
the docs somewhere). Don't be put off by the fact that most people
there are posting in German if you don't speak the language, they're
quite happy to help in English too.

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!