Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

Dear all,

As the discussion progrsses i'd like to add my view to yours. First i'd like
to state that LBS is a good thing in general. It will allow us to
consolidate the considerable force of programmers If anyone wishes to make
this kind of effort, i will support it by means of constructive comment,
rather than destructive flames. One of the choices is to use RPM instead of
.tar.gz, .deb or some other alternative. If LBS wants to use RPM, fine. RPM
is also gpl so we have the ability to improve it together. I agree with the
common view on this list that RPM does not stand a chance compared to DEB. I
also agree that this is mostly due to policy rather than capabilities of
both. In essence they do the same job but both have their better and worse
parts. The inportant thing is that we help in making rpm the best thing
arround. This involves examining rpm, deb and others as they are now, and
building a new one incorperating the best qualities of all and call it rpm.

One big thing that is left out of the conversation up to now is that a good
package system is more than 'just' a fileformat. Perhaps we should look at
the major componets seperaty to get a better picture.

1) Fileformat
2) Database / Policy
3) Tools

The first has no real impact at all. It needs to carry files and information
about them. could be a tar.gz for all i care.
The second is the most important of all, and discussed over and over in the
The third needs to 'get the job done' and if it does, the rest is a matter
of taste.

Thanks for reading my opinion,
Nico de Haer