Re: iptables modules kill ppp

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:51:59PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> flushing procedure is in error somehow.  to test that try
>
> /sbin/iptables -L -n -v ; /sbin/iptables -L -t nat -n -v ;
> /sbin/iptables -L -t mangle -n -v
>
> I think you will find you still have some rules there.

Yup.  I did some more flushing, and the problem went away!  Thank you,
thank you!

> I haven't tried it but there is a ipchains compatiable mode in iptables.
> If enabled in the kernel it will allow you to use your old ipchains
> rules.

No, I'd like to take advantage of the new features of the 2.4.x kernels
and ipchains.  My previous firewall was one I downloaded from the
TrinityOS sight, changed a few things to suit my setup, and pretty much
accepted its security on blind faith.

With 2.4.x/iptables, I thought I should really take the time to learn how
to make a good firewall, and to actually know what's going on.  I'm still
learning, as you can tell :)

> see netfilter.samba.org for the netfilter list.

I might subscribe to that just to lurk around for a while, and hopefully
learn some more about what I'm doing/what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again for all your help!
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, Take a bow for the new revolution