Re: Any way to get apt or dpkg to compile sources for SMP automatically?

John Foster wrote:
> What I'm trying to do is totally optimize my software for dual processor
> systems. I want to be able to use apt-get sources xxx.deb to download
> and automatically compile the application with SMP support and to
> optimize it for various pentium or other processors. This does not mean
> just the kernel I mean all of the software that I use.

Very little software with the exception of the kernel cares at all how
many CPU's you have, no matter how it is compiled.

Linux allows each process to run on only one processor at a time. If you
have two CPU's and only one busy process, half of your system is being
wasted. If this is a typical load, you should have gotten a faster CPU
instead of spending money on SMP.

If your typical system usage involves having the computer do more than
one thing at once, then SMP can be a benefit, since the running
processes are split amoung the available CPU's.

A few programs, like make, allow more efficient use of multiprocessor
machines by providing options that can cause them to run two or more
processes, each which does part of the work. With make for example, use
make -j 2 (or -j 4 or whatever).

--
see shy jo