Re: 2.2.19, agpgart, dri --> @$#%^

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 11:51:04AM -0400, Matthieu Paindavoine wrote:
> I have recently recompiled my kernel (obtained from .deb source package,
> 2.2.19-6) to include support for agp
>
> So I added CONFIG_AGP, CONFIG_AGP_I810, CONFIG_MTRR, CONFIG_DRM,
> CONFIG_DRM_R128 to my kernel config files, compiled, reboot, and the
> boot hangs with a
>
> "Unable to handle kernel null pointer ...".

That looks like a real kernel bug.

You have to include the oops text, or it won't make any sense to anyone.
Also, you have to pass the raw oops text through ksymoops, so the pointers
are converted to human-parseable function and variable names.

As this bug happens during boot, you will not be able to cut and paste it
from the syslog, but you will have to write it down _exactly_ instead.  Then
type that in while running the safe kernel and run ksymoops on it.  You will
have to tell ksymoops which System.map file to use (the one belonging to the
new kernel, not the safe one that you are running).  If you have built your
kernel as a kernel-image.deb with kernel-package, then the required files
will all have been installed.

  man ksymoops  (perhaps you have to install it first)

You should also try out the 2.2.20 pre-patches from alan cox.

Cheers,

Joost