Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

Mariusz Przygodzki <dune@home.pl> writes:

> When I've mentioned about incompabilities between distros then I've mentioned
> about not only packaging format. I can only repeat that you expect to much if
> you think that common packaging format is the only problem of differences
> between distros.

You still don't understand - the LSB specifies which symbols from
various libraries etc. applications can use. Thus, one package should
be able to install and work on any compliant system - at least, that's
the theory and goal. Thus, instead of having "<foo> for Red Hat Linux"
we'll hopefully have "<foo> for LSB and <bar> for LSB " - at least,
that's what I hope (I don't care about things installing elsewhere
to help the other distributions, I care about it for people developing
and deploying applications)

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.