Re: `holding back' packages?

On 01 Jul 2001 11:42:41 -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2001, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > use dselect. You can put pkgs on hold with "="
>
> Thanks. Is  this persistent, in  the sense that  I can use  dselect to
> hold back  the packages, quit dselect,  and apt-get will  do the right
> thing?

Yes

> > Since the package manager needs to know what files *exactly* you have, I
> > would say it ovwerwrites always
>
> Interesting.  I  know  RPM   won't  overwrite  files  that  have  been
> touched. Then  again RPM doesn't seem to  distinguish between binaries
> and  config files.  Debian clearly  does -  it won't  overwrite config
> files, but, as  you suggest, it will overwrite  binaries. Wonder which
> is better..

It may well be that I'm wrong. I now realize that I have taken a guess
of mine as a fact. I'd appreciate if somebody who knows about this would
comment on it

> > Uuuh, so don't do anything to your installed files without the package
> > managers knowledge!! Bad Idea!!!!
> > There are X4 debs available for potato. Somebody discussed it on the
> > list in recent times. Search the archive
>
> Uh yeah, I saw that one coming.. Unfortunately at the time I did this,
> there weren't any potato X4 debs  (that I could find). And the guy who
> made the potato X4 debs, how did *he* do it?

I don't know a thing about making debs. But I would guess he has a
machine he doesn't rely on.

> Bottom  line  for me  is,  it's  my box,  I  need  to override  Debian
> occasionally. There used to be  (still is?)  this thing called `equiv'
> for registering locally installed things with dpkg, but it's more of a
> hassle  than  I'm  willing  to   put  up  with  for  every  tarball  I
> build.  Every once  in a  while,  I set  my mind  on gradually  moving
> completely to src and abandoning Debian.. but hey, I like Debian.

I don't see why you use potato at all, then. If you're determined to
wreck a "stable" install anyway, why don't you use unstable? At least
you would have had X 4 debs pretty quickly.
I understand your urge to move to something like Slackware or LFS.
Sometimes I have that, too. But then I fire up dselect and browse the
list of stuff I have installed, and I realize that I would have to quit
my job if I wanted to manage that by hand. I do like pure src installs
for very stripped-down servers, though.
BTW, if you're into src distribution (which I believe _is_he better
way), you should consider BSD

Kind regards, M.
--

I did not vote for the Austrian government