Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

also sprach Ethan Benson (on Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:57:17PM -0800):
> there is no need for us to follow herd (not hurd) mentality here.

exactly. just because of debian restrictive policy do i think that the
other dists have a lot of work to do. my problem with redhat & co. is
that they are really going the micro$oft way - they didn't take the
time to work out a good baseline, and now every new release brings (a)
changes to the FHS or system in general, and (b) more bloated stuff
and more patches. debian seems to be based on a solid ruleset, and
everything abides to one policy, which makes debian very logical and
straight forward --- which also means that debian in as such has a
future while redhat & co. are going to change more and more over the
years (a la micro$oft).

if you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect
wood, and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to
long for the endless immensity of the sea.
                                           -- antoine de saint exupery